Monday, January 10, 2011

Weight Loss

It is a beautiful sunny morning today in Wyoming!  A little on the cold side, though, at 23 below. 

The Febuary 2011 issue Ladies' Home Journal had an article on weight loss featuring Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser.  A sidebar to the article included a program called Pound for Pound.  For every pound you pledge to loss from now till May, Feeding America will donate one pound of groceries to a local food bank.  How's that for motivation?!  You can get more information at pfpchallenge.com.

Weight loss isn't easy, but for many of us it needs to be done for our health.  We want to be around for our children and grandchildren, and to be able to do what we want to do in our lives.  Obesity accounts for huge amounts of money spent on illnesses that we don't need to acquire.  We don't need to spend tons of money on health insurance that doesn't pay much to start with, but has higher than necessary premiums, because of weight issues that we can control.  And we can control them.

I teach nutrition, but I still have issues with my weight.  I know what is healthy and what isn't.  The majority of my problem is lack of exercise.  I use the same excuses everyone else does, I don't have time, I'm too tired, etc., etc.  I hate to look in the mirror anymore, so this weight is coming off! 

The wii fit has been dusted off and exercise is written into my schedule for every other day for a few weeks, then I'll move to daily.  I'm still battling soreness and other assorted aches and pains, but if I can do it, anyone can.  I keep a set of dumbbells next to the couch, and do arm exercises while watching tv.  I try to get up and down the stairs at least 5 times a day, more if I think about it.  On days when I'm bored with wii fit, I put in a Leslie Sansone DVD.  It's not fun and I'm not an athletic person to begin with, but determination will win!

Check out the pound for pound challenge and get your friends together.  You can even pledge to maintain your weight.  Do it for you, and for a good cause at the same time.

Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs and books are available at Amazon.com, as are The Biggest Loser DVDs, wii fit workouts, and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment